Wednesday, February 20, 2013

My Favorite Shirt


Several years ago, the LW gave me an outfit for Christmas.  Technically, it is not really an outfit, because that makes me sound like a pansy.  It is more of a quasi outfit, which doesn’t sound much better, but makes me feel better about myself.  It consists of is a sweater and a shirt that were purchased simultaneously, making it an outfit.  They can be worn independently, but as a whole they complete each other, and I daresay, complete me as well. 
There are really no bells and whistles.  Just a brown sweater with a cross-hatch design going across the chest with a short zipper and collar and a long sleeved red cotton shirt underneath.  Quite the ensemble, I know.  But, I love the shirt.  At this point, it is not as bright as it once was, and the sleeves have shrunk a little, which really does not matter since it is worn under the sweater.  I think at one point I even cut the tag out because it was itching my neck.
I like this shirt not for normal reasons.  Sure, it is a good shirt and looks nice.  I like the color red, especially if it is on my fictitious Ferrari, but that is not why I like this shirt. 
The reason I like this shirt so much is because when I take if off at the end of the day, without fail, I can look down and find a large ball of red lint in my belly button.  It is awesome!  I have other clothes that do that sort of thing, but none of them are red.  You can spot that ball of lint from across the room!  Other balls of lint can easily get lost in the shadows.  Not this one.  I have even taken a picture of it and sent it to my brother in law simply because I knew he would appreciate it.
The first time I wore it and took it off, exposing the lint ball, was shocking.  The Law of Diminishing Returns plays a role in that- where each time it happens it loses a little of its luster and shock value.  Plus, that very first time, the shirt was fresh and unwashed and had literally gobs of excess, bright red cotton.   The LW saw it and just about passed out after she threw up in her mouth.  That is what I like the most- the reaction I get from the LW.  The only thing that would gross her out more would be if I could shave her name in my back hair.  This is a close second, and it gives me great joy to know how powerful something so small can be. 

No comments:

Post a Comment